Filipino Friday: Comedian Andrew Orolfo
1) What is your name or nickname(s) you go by?
My name is Andrew Orolfo, but people hit me with Drew or Orolfo most of the time.
2) When did you start doing comedy?
I started doing comedy in the summer of 2012.
3) Who are the comedians who inspired you to pursue comedy?
So many, but Michael Che, Kyle Kinane and Jo Koy to name a few.
4) What are some obstacles you had to face while pursuing your career?
Becoming a “professional” comedian is such a wild idea. A lot of people close to you won't believe in you or respect what you do for a good while. Some may never. So accepting that and continuing to push through is pretty rough in the beginning.
5) Since it is Filipino American History Month, how do you incorporate Filipino culture in your comedy?
Being Filipino helps. But I talk about my family at my shows.
6) I know this is a difficult question but for those who are unfamiliar with Filipino culture, how would you describe it or what avenues would you recommend people take to learn more about our culture?
I honestly don’t know how I'd describe it. Were so unique like that, but I can say by going to the Philippines, I learned a lot. Take a trip and spend time with your family, just be among the people.
7) We only saw a small glimpse of your experience on Jo Koy's In His Elements special. What was your experience like working with Jo Koy and making this special?
Working with Jo was the best. Everywhere we went was good vibes and we shared a lot of laughs. I tried to experience as much as I could when I was out there. I’d link up with family members and we’d go exploring.
8) Of all the jokes you've told which one is your favorite and why?
The joked i closed with on the special is fun to do. Its just riDICulous. Im sorry.
9) What are your social media platforms where people can follow your journey?
@andrew_orolfo on everything and twitch.tv/0rolfo
10) What do you want people to take away from following your journey?
I want people who feel they relate to me to know they can achieve whatever they want to do. The things I've done they can do as well. And just spread positive energy into the universe.
11) Is there anything you would like to add?
Brush your teeth thoroughly.
Final Thoughts From Shenel
When I first saw Andrew on Jo Koy's Netflix special, I didn't know what to expect. I'm going to be honest and say I never heard of him before. When I watched his segment, his vibe and delivery resonated with me right away. While I was sitting at home eating my lumpia and pancit, his jokes just landed everytime. The one I loved the most was the earthquake joke. If you know, you know :-).
His answers to my questions demonstrates his take on life and how to enjoy it to the fullest. Make sure to follow his journey on his social media platforms.
(Note: This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are that of the owner. No commission is made from featuring Andrew Orolfo on my blog.)