1) What is your name(s) or nickname(s) that you go by?
Adrian and Camille de los Reyes
2) Why did you create Sari-Sari?
It was created by Camille’s parents in 1995 as a means to provide for the family and supply Filipino items to the small Filipino community. When we took it over in 2016, we saw it as an opportunity to create awareness for Filipino food and culture for not just Filipinos but the entire San Antonio community.
3) How long have you been in business? Since 1995
4) What kind of experience can a new customer expect when buying from you? Our hope is that each customer that we come into contact with gets a sense of the same Filipino hospitality that you’d expect to receive at any Filipino party or gathering. We often greet each other as “ate” or “kuya” or “Tito” and “Tita” which means big sister and brother or uncle and auntie, respectively. We love to share our culture this way, as Filipinos are a very loving and welcoming people. At Sari-Sari everyone is treated like family and becomes extension of our Sari-Sari Family. Some of our customers have been patrons so long that they’ve witnessed me (Camille) grow up in our store; we’ve watched as others have started families of their own, and now things have come full circle as they can see our kids running around the restaurant and helping stock shelves in the store.
5) What kind of products and services do you provide? We offer unique Filipino items and groceries that can be difficult to find. And we’re serving up the freshest most delicious Filipino food, baked goods and desserts you can find in town!
6) What is your favorite product to sell and why?
For sure Halo-Halos; they colorful and yummy. A mixture of different tropical fruits and jellies, over shaved ice and sweet milk, topped with a scoop of vibrant home made ube ice cream. Perfect to cool down on a hot Texas day! Definite eye candy and perfect for the gram!
7) How can people buy from you? Customers are welcome to shop in our market from 10a-8p Monday through Saturday, and 10-5 Sundays. You can also visit us online at sari-sari-satx.com or place an order by texting FILIPINO to 33733.
8) What are your social media platforms where people can follow your journey? FB @sarisari.satx IG @sarisarisatx
9) What do you want your customers to take away from following your journey or buying your product(s)? When you shop at our store or order from our restaurant you’re supporting small local business, and supporting our mission to empower Filipinos by promoting our culture through the love of food. 10) Is there anything that you would like to add? We will be participating in Culinaria: Restaurant Weeks TO-GO which runs August 1 - August 31. Dine OUT and dig IN, as we will be offering 3-coursed menu items for lunch and dinner, all for pick-up or curbside! Please join us in supporting local restaurants as we navigate through this difficult time. Look out for our special menu! Thanks in advance!
Final Thoughts From Shenel
I have purchased multiple meals from Sari-Sari. From their breakfast to their desserts, there's something for everyone. They made my birthday special by making an ube cake. I also had pancit and lumpias for my birthday. I love that this is a woman owned business. If you're in San Antonio, stop by and see what they have to offer. They also participate in Asian Festival and multiple events with their food trucks. Make sure to follow their journey on social media to see where they are taking their food truck next.